A bonspiel is a multi-day curling tournament typically held over a party-filled weekend. They normally include a lunch or dinner banquet, at least 3 games of curling, themes, costumes, drawings, prizes, and other party activities. Unless specifically stated otherwise, they are open to all types of teams and all levels of curlers.
Bonspiel Participant Special Information
- If curlers have time constraints, then they need to let us know by e-mail at least 7 days in advance of the bonspiel. This in no way guarantees specific times for their bonspiel draw but the Bonspiel Committee will try to accommodate as best as possible.
- If your complete team does not show up in time for a game, then the team can either find a sub that will play the ENTIRE game, be penalized a point for every 5 minutes late, or play with 3 curlers for the ENTIRE game. Otherwise the team will be forced to forfeit.
- Teams will be given a 30-minute warning prior to the allotted time for their game. After the warning the teams must finish the end they are playing and then play one more end to finish the game.
- In the event of a tie breaker: “Last Shot Draw” guidelines will be enforced. After your first game is complete the team will choose ONE member from your team to throw. Sweepers are allowed. Where that rock stops is where the measurement will take place. Measurement from the center of the house will be done in inches and recorded on the bracket board. This measurement will only be used in case of a tie.
- Bonspiel participants and guests are required to adhere to all club/alcohol rules. Failure to do so could result in dismissal from the event without refund of the registration fee.
- If a team cancels 48 hours or less prior to the bonspiel or fails to show completely, then the registration fee will not be refunded.
- All bonspiel draws are done by random selection, there is no “seeding”.
- No unsportsmanlike conduct (i.e. excessive yelling, throwing of broom, etc.) shall be tolerated. This shall result in a warning and if continued could result in the team’s forfeiture of the game.
- No fighting shall be tolerated. Anyone involved in a fight will be removed from the club.
- Food will be provided by the Bonspiel Committee during many of our events. If you have special dietary needs we ask that you let us know by e-mail at least 72 hours in advance of the bonspiel and we will try to accommodate as best as possible.
- As an all-volunteer organization, it is essential to have volunteers in order to run a successful bonspiel event. If you feel that you could help in any capacity please let us know by e-mail. During bonspiels we typically need volunteers for food preparation and serving, cleaning, bartending, and ice maintenance. Thanks in advance!