THE EARLY HISTORY OF OUR CLUB
The club, founded by 35 individuals, received its original non-profit corporation charter on May 10, 1954, five years before Alaska became the 49th State, and thus began the Anchorage Curling Club. On October 29, 1956, The Anchorage Curling Club became officially recognized by the U.S. National Curling Organization.
The first club facility was a $6000, two-sheet club with natural ice, located at the Forest Park Country Club on the west side of the city. The club's first organized play was on January 8, 1957. Unfortunately, the facility was short lived - a record snowfall collapsed the building's roof during the winter of 1958.
Curling survived this setback primarily through the generous support of our military, more specifically, Retired Air Force Colonel, H. Roy Fisk who played a major role throughout the club's organizational period. Elmendorf Air Force Base had natural ice on an outdoor tennis court, and Fort Richardson Army Base had two sheets of natural ice in a building. Both of these military installations were adjacent to the city, so club curlers were able to utilize their ice. For a time, to introduce people with the sport of curling, a sheet of natural ice was created o the lawn areas of the Federal and Post Office building on 4th Avenue in downtown Anchorage, which is just across from the 4th Avenue Theater.
Interest grew in the sport of curling, and eventually plans for a new club at its present location were drawn. The grand opening was held on March 3rd, 1962. During the summer of 1963, a refrigeration system was installed to provide artificial ice.
Once again, Mother Nature dealt a 'wick and roll' to the club when the Good Friday earthquake occurred on March 27th, 1964, causing severe damage. The club was restored and up until this time the refrigeration lines had laid in sand, so the club undertook to encase the lines in concrete in September 1971.